Aragog’s Lair

My work had so many fun activities leading up to Halloween. The biggest being an office wide team decorating contest. My team decided we wanted to make a spider web, but not just any spider web, Aragog’s web… or lair. We had a big area to cover, so we wanted to have really big spiders to help fill up the space. We originally thought we could just buy a few spiders, but when we found out they would cost upwards of $50 dollars we thought otherwise. I got thinking and figured basically with some balloons, an exercise ball, and A LOT of newspaper I could make them myself.

s1

First, I shaped the head with some cardboard from cereal boxes and starting making the head.

s4

After a few looong hours I finally had all of the bodies made and let them dry overnight. I used a hot glue gun for details on the face and cut up an old furry throw pillow I had and used adhesive spray to stick it to the body and head to make it more realistic.

s7

s6

I underestimated the amount of brown spray paint I would need, but had gold and black on hand, so I just used those colors as a base coat to help cover up the newspaper.

s5

I hot glued the legs in place and attached some fishing line to hang them. Then the process of hanging over 1500 square feet of webbing began. After that, it was just a matter of adding some more (smaller) paper/plastic spiders and voila!

s8

s9

We did not end up winning, but we had a lot of fun!

Leave a Comment